Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Visitors.....

A fairly typically wet Bank Holiday weekend just gone, but I do have some photos to update you with. HWDD’s parents visited (MIL & FIL!) and requested a visit to my plot. We managed to get there and back on foot before it rained, then packed up ‘The Boys’ and went off for lunch.



‘The Boys’ are HWDD’s family tortoises ‘Speedy’ and ‘Wally’, who had been staying with us while MIL & FIL were on holiday. At home they have the run of the garden and obviously didn’t like being penned in with our makeshift chicken-wire enclosure, as Speedy escaped TWICE and Wally once. It’s just the worst feeling to come home, find them missing, dredge the pond fearing the worst- but a HUGE relief to find them happily asleep under a plant! They certainly enjoyed a visit from my two eldest nieces last week.


I needed to work of the delicious lunch, so spent a couple of hours on the plot Saturday afternoon. I finished weeding & digging bed three (above) ready for the peas & beans and strimmed the pathway and edges. There just 2 more beds to weed, but I really don't have much enthusiasm for it! I don't want to dig them, as it's where the brassicas will go, (keep the soil fitm) but will have to do something soon as by greenhouse is bursting at the seams with broccoli & cabbages!


We’ve been eating some of the broad beans that were sown in October, and strangely just one of the 15 or so plants is being attached by black fly!

1 comment:

welsh girls allotment said...

I picked almost four pounds of beans last night and I have got a serious blackfly problem, fortunately I also have a welcome infestation of ladybirds so hopefully with a bit of washing up liquid in a squirty bottles we can do battle together !